|Background Image URL
NYSFSMA’s mission statement/purpose
Founded in 2000, NYSFSMA brings together New York State professionals to foster awareness, information exchange and cooperation in the floodplain and stormwater management fields.
We are a state chapter of ASFPM - View Link
2020 NYSFMA Members by Industry
- Private Industry
- Federal Government
- Watershed or County Agencies
- Non Profit and Academia
- NYS Communities and Tribes
- State Agency
as of January 2020
2020 nysfsma members by region
(We Follow NYS DEC REGIONS)
- Region 1: (Long Island)Nassau and Suffolk counties
- Region 2: (New York City)Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island
- Region 3: (Lower Hudson Valley)Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Sullivan, Ulster, and Westchester counties
- Region 4: (Capital Region/Northern Catskills)Albany, Columbia, Delaware, Greene, Montgomery, Otsego, Rensselaer, Schenectady, and Schoharie counties
- Region 5: (Eastern Adirondacks/Lake Champlain)Franklin, Clinton, Hamilton, Essex, Warren, Fulton, Saratoga, and Washington counties
- Region 6: (Western Adirondacks/Eastern Lake Ontario)Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Oneida, and St. Lawrence counties
- Region 7: (Central New York)Broome, Cayuga, Chenango, Cortland, Madison, Onondaga, Oswego, Tioga, and Tompkins counties
- Region 8: (Western Finger Lakes)Chemung, Genesee, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans, Schuyler, Seneca, Steuben, Wayne, and Yates counties
- Region 9: (Western New York)Allegany, Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, Erie, Niagara, and Wyoming counties
Region 4 Director
Committees & Chairs
Community Rating System (CRS) Committee
Janet Thigpen, CFM and John Gauthier, PE, CFM (Co-Chairs)Committee Objectives: Help communities improve CRS ratings; encourage new communities to participate in CRS.
William Nechamen, CFM and Ricardo Lopez-Torrijos, CFM (Co-Chairs)
Committee Objectives: Plan & develop necessary budget for annual conference; Plan & develop necessary budget for technical seminars; Arrange hotel space, meeting rooms, entertainment, speakers, exhibit areas, and conference materials; Coordinate with Executive Director and Finance Committee for budget and implementation; Review proposed conference contracts prior to signature by Executive Director, President or Vice President.
Shaun Gannon (Chair)
Committee Objectives: Develop a quarterly newsletter to be sent to members; Organize & prepare articles for printing or electronic distribution; Obtain necessary photos, clipart, and ideas for content; Coordinate with the Regional Directors to obtain articles.
Outreach & Education Committee
Jennifer Marcy, CFM and Stevie Adams, CFM (Co-Chairs)
Committee Objectives: Provide opportunities for members to raise awareness about flood risk and mitigation of flood risk; Develop and coordinate a consistent and comprehensive training curriculum; Develop a training delivery system for members; Develop outreach via multimedia communication systems for our members and other organizations; Develop and implement an effective risk communication plan.
Public Policy Committee
Janet Thigpen, CFM and Bill Nechamen, CFM (Co-Chairs)
Committee Objectives: Track legislation; Track activities affecting State and Federal policy; Report issues to Board for decisions on how to participate; Provide representative input to State and Federal Officials.
Colleen Flynn, CFM (Chair)
Committee Objectives: Plan and develop annual budget for website services; Coordinate all activities related to website; Review and approve invoices for Treasurer to pay; Coordinate technical issues with website.
Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation
The NYSFSMA Bylaws are available to members by clicking the link below.
Text about meeting minutes